For an investor already in the United States in a stable nonimmigrant status, concurrent filing is materially valuable for two reasons. First, it generates an EAD and AP that operate independent of the underlying NIV employer or visa, giving flexibility to change jobs, take periods between employment, or travel without dependency on the underlying NIV's terms. Second, it shortens the practical wait for green card benefits, because the I-485 can sometimes be approved shortly after the I-526E.
The most important strategic decision is whether to treat the underlying NIV as a relic or a backup. The conservative practice is to treat it as a backup until both the EAD/AP issue and the I-526E approves. Investors who let the underlying status lapse before the I-526E approves are exposed if the I-526E is denied, because the I-485 denial will follow, and unlawful presence can begin to accrue from the date of the I-485 denial. AILA practitioners have observed that investors who maintained the underlying status through the I-526E pendency had materially better fall-back options when adverse adjudications arrived.
Country chargeability intersects with concurrent filing in two ways. For investors from countries where the EB-5 set-aside categories are still current (most countries, as of May 2026), concurrent filing is straightforward on visa-availability grounds. For investors who anticipate retrogression in their relevant set-aside category (rural may retrogress before HUA for high-volume countries, given the higher rural approval throughput against the 20-percent allocation), filing while the category is current locks in the I-485 receipt date and the EAD/AP availability even if retrogression later affects the I-485 approval timing.
Section S grandfathering is the other timing pressure point. Under RIA Section S, DHS will continue processing I-526E petitions filed on or before September 30, 2026, even after the regional center program's September 30, 2027 expiration. An investor with a stable underlying NIV who is contemplating concurrent filing has two distinct timing constraints: the September 30, 2026 grandfathering deadline for the I-526E, and Visa Bulletin currency for the I-485.
For investors weighing concurrent filing against the alternative of waiting for I-526E approval before filing the I-485, the trade-offs include: earlier EAD/AP versus later, paid I-485 fees at filing versus at approval, fall-back-risk exposure to I-526E denial during AOS pendency versus a clean I-526E approval before any I-485 commitment, and AOS interview exposure on the EB-5 facts versus consular processing if the investor leaves the U.S. and the I-526E approves. The right choice depends on the investor's NIV stability, the strength of the I-526E record, family situation, and travel plans.